Sunday, December 16, 2012

Infants and Ironman

Sunday, December 16, 2012  at 8:45 AM
Last year, I made the decision to one day train and complete an Ironman.  This year wasn't the year with moving, buying a house and switching jobs (although some people can do that, Erika).  So, I decided to go for it in 2013 in Louisville Kentucky on August 25.  Life is so much easier now with an infant that needs fed every two hours, right?  I'm totally joking!!  By the way, Baby C and his mommy are doing really well, and I know he's growing.  We go to the doctor this next week for another checkup to see how much he weighs.
All snuggly after his FIRST BATH!
So, it's time to start training!  I've looked and looked and talked and talked to established Ironmen(and women) about a training plan, and I finally settled on a 36-week training plan that I found on Tridaddy.com.  You can see it here if you are so inclined (I think it's the 36-week plan from Trifuel.com but is put in a slightly more printable format).  So TODAY is the first day of training that will take me to this:
Jenn's idea on our anniversary weekend in Asheville, NC
JUST KIDDING!  Not that IRON-Man.  How about this!!!:
I'm so excited about race day, but I'm just as excited about the training.  Check back with me at week 12 to see how excited I am.  I know that IMKY is a tough Ironman because of many factors, but I think it is the best option for me because of many reasons too.  So let the training begin!  I know that for the next 36 weeks, I am going to need a ton of encouragement and advice, plus, my #1 love language is words of affirmation, so don't be shy!

Speaking of affirmation...

Last month, I applied to be a part of the Brooks ID program, and I got accepted!  Yay!  For those of you that aren't familiar with this program, the running shoe company Brooks will be hooking me up with free shoes and apparel as I train and race events.  That's a hook up! Thank you, Brooks!
 So, let the journey to becoming an Ironman begin!  It's going to be painful, tough, challenging, difficult,.......AWESOME!

17 comments:

Vicky Cook

That's great that you get some free gear, well done! I don't know, I kind of like the first 'iron man' photo! My daughter asked me once whilst my husband was ironing his work shirt, 'do you have one of those mummy?' pointing at the iron 'No , I do not!' hahahahahahahha! It was a good moment :)
good luck with the training!

My Boring Triathlon Blog

wow, congrats

newborn baby + ironman training = a brave man

Ironman By Thirty

m ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

^ That is Bailey saying "hi". He just rested his head on the laptop. haha

Woohoo for the start of IM training! 36 weeks??? Yowza! That is one heck of a training plan. Without knowing the plan in detail (I have seen this one before though), my only advice would be to take it easy and stress-free the first 12 weeks. 36 weeks is a long time. Don't burn yourself out (physically or mentally) in the beginning.

Love the baby C pic! Only one though? Are you rationing them to make us keep coming back????? ;)

adena

Congrats on all these life changes. and by the way I'm TOTALLY jealous of the Brooks. I love their shoes!

Karen

YAY on the Brooks ID program - free stuff!!!! Enjoy your training. I always felt like the last two months were the worst so just hang on and August will be here before you know it :)

Unknown

Yay for Brooks! :)

Yay for cute pictures of snuggly Baby C! :)

And yay for Ironman training. It's a long road... take it one day at a time and know that it'll be so worth it!!!

Jill

Wow, that is so exciting that you are part of the Brooks ID team, congratulations!! :) I am turning down the local running gig sponsorship for next year...I won't miss it, except the free Brooks gear we got. It's totally different than the Brooks ID team; this is through a local running store, but we got free Brooks shoes and THAT I will miss. Oh well. Anyway, that was a long and winded worthless bit of information, cuz I'm just all random like that.

Good luck with your IM training. I greatly admire you, but if anyone can balance it all out, it is you!

Glad that momma and baby C are doing great. :)

Beth

Awwww....you and Baby C look so cute together! I'm so glad you guys are doing well. Oh and I love the picture of the "Ironman"...hahahaha

Congratulations on picking out a training plan and being accepted by Brooks as an ID guy. Exciting things seem to be happening with the Smith's.

I cannot wait to hear how your training is going.

Luke Powell

36 week plans are what I follow for IM and trust me, it will go by fast! Stick to the plan but don't beat yourself up if you miss a day here and there - just don't make it a habit! Let me know around week 20-30 when you start wanting to ride the course and we'll meet up one Saturday. Let the journey begin!!

kessia reyne

Keep us all updated with your blog posts, Matt. We'll be cheering you on! Even Baby C will be rooting for you in Kentucky! :)

Anonymous

AHHHH!!!!! I'm SO EXCITED for you! I can't believe you didn't tell me when you texted me :)
If you need ANY help at all, please let me know! I'm sure your training plan is perfect but if you ever have questions or anything at all, I'm always here.
YAY for both of us being Ironman finishers very soon!!!!!
Hugs to Baby C and Jennifer :)

TriMOEngr

When my children were babies - I had a total fetish of all things covered in yellow ducks. Part of it was that we didn't find out the sex of our kids and duckies are unisex yellow, but once they were born I found I still liked everything duckie! So sweet. I have no idea how I would have ever juggled the demands of a newborn with any kind of training. So different now that I can leave the kids at home when I go out for a jog or a bike ride. But those bathtime snuggles are the best when they are still so little that they just curl into a ball. Congrats on the baby, congrats on the Brooks ID group and best wishes as you train for IMKY.

Big Daddy Diesel

And I thought my 26 week plan was long

Welcome to the team, I been on Brooks ID for 5 years now, if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Swim Bike Mom

Cute baby boy :):) And congrats on the TP. :)

Caratunk Girl

Awesome that you found a training plan that works for you! That is always a relief!

Awww, Baby C is a CUTIE!

Caratunk Girl

PS Congrats on Brooks ID!

Christie

I am excited to follow you through your Ironman training! Exciting stuff for 2013:)

Post a Comment

Dont Be Shy! Leave a comment.